Sunday, October 19, 2008

BofA Chicago Marathon.. a week later.

It's been way too long since I last wrote here.... I know, I'm a lazy bastardo. Yup, that's me... laziness at its best. I guess with the end of tri season, change of weather and my horrible 2nd marathon ever, the last thing I wanted to do was write about it.

I can avoid it for a while but not for-evah. On the other hand when I read some blogs (the ones listen on the right) I do want to say something too.

Ok, so the Chi mara. It simply went aweful. Ok, that's all I'm writing about it.

No, j/k... I know I didn't trained properly but I wasn't expecting getting an old injury back! Arrived in Chicago on Sat 10/11. Went to the Expo which was fantastic, they had a ton of really cool things big stands, every single running brand you can think of, games, prizes, Bart Yasso signing his book, etc. On Sun 10/12 at 7:15ish am I got to the starting line, got situated with the 8:45 pace group. It was really cool to be around so many people. We started right on time 8am and off we went. Absolutely loved the crowds, they were cheering pretty much the whole 26.2 miles.

I was going at about 9min/mile pace, very comfortable, feeling great and by mile 12 the outside of my right knee started to hurt. "Oh please not again!!!" I had the same problem last year in Memphis when I ran my 1st marathon, it was at mile 17/18.. had to walk and run for a while (2 miles) until the Aleve I took kicked in and finished running it (slower but I was able to run it). Back in April this year it happened again when I ran the GO St. Louis Half Marathon at mile 9. I remember crossing the finish line limping and in so much pain.

Going back to Chicago. I had some pain killers which I took but I am not sure if they didn't work as well as they did in Memphis but the pain never went away, maybe a little bit but not enough to keep running. My split 13.1 was 2hrs 1min and from then on it all went down hill. I walked, stopped to strech and tried to run but it was too painful. I finished in 2hrs 43min (Last year in Memphis I finished at 4hrs 2min)

On top of that, for the first time ever I got a black toenail. It's my big right toenail. I'm pretty sure it will fall off... great! At least this happened at the end of the season. I had planned to run a couple of local 5Ks and maybe a 10K but it all depends on the freaking nail. LOL

This past Friday I went to see a Chiropractor who does ART (Active Release Techniques). She adjusted my back and I am going back on Monday for my knees issues... I hear ART is a bit painful but very effective. I am willing to try it. Last year I did PT and I think it helped some but obviously it did not get fixed...

Hope everyone is enjoying the fall and getting ready for: (evil voice) H A L L O W E E N!!!

PC

6 comments:

Sam said...

Too bad about the knee. But running a marathon is more than I've ever done, so I'm still impressed. I hope you can figure out the cause and take care of it for good!

Sam said...

Take care of that knee PC! Congrats on finishing, more than a lot of people would have done. WTG!! You're def. IRONMAN tough even if it was a marathon! You'll be kicking a IM distance race in no time!! EXCELLENT JOB! YOU ROCK and should be proud of yourself. :)

Steve Stenzel said...

Baby that knee! And I LOVE ART! It does hurt, but I think it really helps.

Heal up!!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

That damn Chicago Marathon seems to get harder and harder every year! What's up with that?!! Rest well...Please don't sustain permanent damage to your knee. You're much too fast for that!! Take it easy this winter!

Sam said...

How's the knee PC? Any better with some rest? Hope all is fantastic!

Andrea said...

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear about the race and your injury. You can't blame it on training though - it sounds as though it's just something that "happened".

You are doing the right thing by having it looked at now. I know a couple of people who's injuries flared up at the end of the season - which is convenient because now they can get the rest they need without feeling guilty.

Hope you are on the mend soon!