Sunday, September 14, 2008

6 more days...

...until Ironman 70.3 Cancun. My -almost- last tri of the season. I say almost because I MIGHT do one more, the St. Peters Rec-Plex Fall Tri on Oct 5th. It's a sprint one: 500yS/21MB/5MR. I did it last year and it's a nice way to end the season. But we'll see, kind of undecided yet.

I see some of the bloggers I read have been working on their 2009 race schedule, which makes me think I should as well, even though I have been thinking about 1 or 2 here and there. I will come up with a list soon.

I also see some bloggers write less and less....(including me) as the tri season ends I can tell triathletes are fading out. On one hand I feel I need a break, months and months of training feel heavy and our bodies are asking for some rest, some bad food and some beer :)

I miss waking up in the morning, looking outside and see daylight, you know?

On the other hand I know after a couple of weeks I will be missing the tri season big time.

My plan right now is to focus on Cancun, have a good race, enjoy it and have fun. We're staying in Mexico for about a week after the race... BUT... things are not over yet for me. I still have the Chicago Marathon... and it's only 3 weeks after 70.3! Wait, before you say how crazy (or dumb) this guy is for registering for these 2 races, let me explain how this happened. Last year, after my first full marathon (December 08 - Memphis, TN) I decided to do one marathon a year, so after Chicago opened registration I went ahead and registered. A few months later, the familia and I were looking to do a vacation, we wanted to go to some beach. Initially we thought FL, looked for prices, they were kind of high so I decided to check Mexico thinking 'what if'... well... I was right. I ended up finding cheaper flights. So in the process of buying the tix it hit me.

PC's brain: "Dude, there's a 70.3 in Cancun!!!" Checked with the wife and the cool, supportive and understanding wife she is, she said: "do it, might as well!" YES!!!!!!

Wait.... the tri is 3 weeks after Chicago... D'oh! But I thought, I could do Chicago any other year (I'm about 5 hrs drive away) and I don't know when I would be able to go to Cancun again, so I registered. And after months of training and some of those months I have been working with Coach, we (Coach and I) decided I still should and could do Chicago even though my priority is Cancun. Obviously I won't be PR'ing in Chicago, still it'll be great to run with so many people.

I've checking the weather for Cancun and man oh man, it's gonna be H O T !

For race day Sun Sept 21 it says: "Very humid with periods of clouds and sunshine. High 88 - Heat index: 105" Wow... it's gonna be interesting.

Good luck to all of you racing next weekend!

PC

3 comments:

Sam said...

PC, I have no doubt in my mind that you will be fabulous in CANCUN! You've trained hard and smart. You've just been getting faster and faster as the season progresses and you're a MACHINE!!!
IT WILL BE ALL GOOD! Trust in your ability as a STRONG, SMART, POWERFUL, DRIVEN Triathlete!! Can't wait to read RR!
Plus BONUS, you and the family get to hang out at beach afterwards!!! YAHOO!!! Have a beer or 4 :o) as a reward for a successful season.

Andrea said...

You are going to do great! I can't wait to hear all about it - and you better post some photos too! And not just one or two - you better post, like, FIVE! :)

But seriously, I will come home on Sunday night (from OKC) and log into ironman.com to see how AWESOME you did!!

Andrea said...

FINALLY!
It took forever for them to post the results but YOU DID GREAT!

Was the run hilly or what? Everyone seemed to have "slower than usual" times.

TELL US ALL ABOUT IT!

By the way, love the photo of you crossing the finish! You look so happy to be done!!!