Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Who Tri's Harder Quartermax - Priority B

I had a pretty good race last Saturday at the "Who Tri's Harder Quartermax" tri. Considering I almost didn't do it. Last Wed I was in bed at 7pm with a fever! Thu felt a bit better and had to go to work since I had some mandatory training I couldn't miss... I was considering not doing the tri by then. Fri I took off work and tried to rest as much as I can and ended up going to Innsbrook, MO (about 50 - 60 mile drive west from St. Louis)
Sat morning I got there at 6:30ish and did the BAU stuff.... set up TA, got body marked, got chip, etc.

Saw and talked to some STL Tri Club peeps and then got with a couple of friends and waited until a pre-race meeting they called right at the lake beach. The race director provided the last updates and we had a minute of silence for the guy who died last year during this triathlon. He had a heart attack during the swim and drawn. It was pretty weird to think it was only a year ago and we were about to get in the same lake....

The Octomaxers went first... guys wave, then ladies wave. Then it was our turn, Quartermaxers.... ladies and then guys, plus relay teams. Great mass start practice. Got kicked and pushed a bit but nothing major. Started pretty relaxed.. stretching and focusing on staying straight towards the buoys. Half way I felt really good so I decided to go a bit faster. Out of the lake and run up hill to TA. It was a long jog.... Grabbed bike and all and took off.... the ride went fine with no issues. Came back, and took off for the hilly run... I could feel the sun by then as well.... and the worst part was the horse flies..... they were everywhere and were chasing me!! Got bitten 5 - 8 times... bastards! - I know what you meant Sam when you ran at WyCo -

1000 yard swim: 16min 31sec - 1:39min/100y

T1: 1:39

28 mile bike: 1hr 21min 20sec - 19.9mph avg

T2: 1:29

6.5 mile run: 48min 42 sec - min/mile: 8:07

Total time: 2hrs 29min 43sec

AG: 7/25 - OA: 60/238


Had a great time and enjoyed it a ton!


Last week I sold my Fuji bike to this guy from work.... I liked my Fuji and it was the bike I start doing tris with but I was never fitted to it, so it was big for me. It was time to let go... I needed a different bike anyway to take the familia for rides (My wife and I pull the kiddos in our bikes). The Fuji's gone and yesterday I bought a hybrid: The Trek 7000

Here's a pic of me and my new addition: "Lola" :)


4 comments:

Sam said...

Horseflies suck! And they're persistant little bastards! I had 1 follow me on our last run and that was with copious amounts of bug spray.

Sounds like you had a good race. I can't believe how many you've done this year! Training must be going well. I'm hoping for a 2:35 on my Oly, but I biked the course last night and it could be interesting - lost of hazards. I'm going to try to get a few pics before the race. I'd love to be under 2:30, but I've never raced this distance. I'm sure I'll have a pre-race run down in a few weeks.

Keep up the good work!

Andrea said...

Great job P!
Nice swim and great bike!
You are rocking this summer!!!

Oh, and love the photo. :)

Sara said...

very cool new bike! New wheels are always fun...enjoy riding with the kiddies ;)

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

man--you are just flying these days! Have you always been such a fast swimmer???