Friday, May 9, 2008

Belgium

So I was told at work I am going to Brussels at the end of this month.... awesome! Never been to that part of Europe. Even though it's work it should be good times. I am going with 2 of my co-workers. We leave on May 21st, taking a couple of days to travel a bit and work from Mon the 26th until Fri the 30th, flying back on Sat the 31st.

Of course I ask myself.... how is this going to affect my 5+ months of training for Ironman 70.3 Kansas? I mean, don't get me wrong, I am really excited about going to Europe but at the same time I really hope this won't mess the whole thing up.... I am coming back on the 31st, exactly 2 weeks before the event. Man... I have put a ton of time and money on this...

This is my last Endurance Stage week:

Mon: Day Off
Tue: Swim 2,350 meters
Wed: 6.6 mile run
Thu: Bike - 28 miles - hill repeats... lots of hills!
Fri: 13 mile run

Sat: My wife is doing her 2nd 5K and I'll be running with her. Later I'm scheduled to go to the pool and swim 3,000 meters.
Sun: Brick - 20 mile bike ride immediately followed by a 3 mile run, repeat 3 x.

Next week is Active Recovery week and then I have weeks 15 - 17 of Competitive Stage and I finish the training plan with week 18: Taper.

So I'll be in Europe for a week and a half of my Competitive Stage. Of course I am planning on doing as much as I can there... been looking on the internet for running routes and the hotel I am staying at has a nice pool where I can swim. The gym looks pretty decent as well. What I'm worried about is the bike, and yes... the bike is my weakest leg.... great! Hopefully I can find a gym where they have spinning plus whatever I can do at the hotel gym. It'll work out. It always does, right?

Happy Mother's Day to all the madres! :)

PC

2 comments:

Andrea said...

How exciting!
I would be worried too about the training but you should be fine. Sounds like you're a pretty resourceful guy. :)

monica said...

i travel a lot for work, and i've learned to roll with it. and naturally, cycling will suffer the most, but just do what you can, and most important, DON'T STRESS ABOUT IT!! and ya know how i feel about spinning, but it really is the best option when you're on the road. but you'll be in belgium, THE LAND OF CYCLING!!! so you may be able to find a real bike to ride somewhere. good thing you're doing some research ahead of time. also, don't get all crazy trying to make things up in the 2 weeks when you get back. when it's time to taper, then TAPER. plus, you're a kick ass runner, so you're gonna be fine at 70.3!!

bring us back some chocolate!! cycling and chocolate. does it get any better than that?