Sunday, May 4, 2008

Race for Sight Sprint Tri

Had a pretty good week...

Mon: Off
Tue: Swam 2,000 meters
Wed: Weight training - Triceps and Chest
Thu: Rode outside almost 20 miles then came home and rode for an hour on the trainer.
Fri: Did a 5 mile tempo run
Sat: Was supposed to do 3,500 meters but had to skip it
Sun: Race a sprint tri

Not too bad...

Ultramax Race for Sight Sprint Tri: 440 yard swim – 14 mile bike – 3 mile run

Saturday we drove to Columbia, MO at around noon. In the morning we finished packing and were getting ready to go. I had to take my dog Inti to a friend's house who kindly offered to -last minute - dog-sit. Left to Columbia, got there at around 2, checked in at the Stoney Creek Inn and went to get my packet at a local running store. After that we went back to the hotel, laid around for a bit and left at 6 to the Olive Garden restaurant to meet some guys from the St. Louis Triathlon Club. Ate there and in about an hour we left since we promised the girls we'll go to the pool. Swam for a bit , returned to our room and got ready for bed. Checked the weather for the next day and they said it is going to be between 40 - 45 degrees....brrr!

Woke up at 5am... got ready and left to the Missouri University Campus (Stankowski Field). Got there, head to the transition area and got on line for body marking... got my number 306 and went to a number designated area... got all set up and waited with a couple of people I knew. It was pretty chilly... wasn't really looking forward to the bike part all wet....

At 6:45 waked to the pool, a brand new competition olympic sized pool at MU, very nice. The elite group started at bit later than scheduled and then we all went in. We did the typical pool "snake-style". The run from the pool to the TA was pretty long.. stairs....a path.... and finally the turf, which was nice and soft. Got all my stuff and and went out.... nice and hilly 2 loop bike course. Thank God the sun was out and it felt pretty nice actually. Came back to the TA, changed shoes, took helmet off, grabbed a visor and ran the last 3 miles in the MU Campus.

Just got an email from Ultramax with the official results as I was typing this. Here's what I got:

- 440 yards swim: 8min 21sec
- T1: 1min 48sec
- 14 mile bike: 43min 46sec
- T2: 1min 49sec
- 3 mile run: 21min 07sec
- TOTAL TIME: 1:16:52

I REALLY need to work on my transitions... I was comparing my T times with other people and man, mine s.u.c.k. I take way too much time. Still... happy with my time!

41 days and counting for my first HIM....

PC

8 comments:

Andrea said...

Great job P!
Not too shabby and I would think that your T-times would be longer for an "indoor" race anyway.

I just posted my review of the IMKS 70.3 course so check it out.

Sara said...

nice job getting a race in for a solid day of training.

Anonymous said...

nice job on the race. I hear you on the cold temps, wet and the bike. Surprisingly, I didn't get cold either. Must be all that adrenaline!!!!

Teresa (tcoplen- RW tri forum)

monica said...

hi patricio!!! i'm just catching up with everyone's blogs. congratsto your wife on her first 5k. that's awesome and so cool she's already signed up for another!!!

your sprint tri times were super fast!!! keep up the good work and can't wait to read all about your HIM!!

Anonymous said...

Great job- you make my race reports look a novel! :-) You did great and I agree, fast transitions can really make a difference. I came in 4th in a tri and missed a cool prize by one seond- I was faster on all legs but slower in transition.
Your training looks solid, you will have a great HIM!!!
- Sally (Runninginaz)

triguyjt said...

I always look back and see that my tranny times could be better...
Its crazy because I mentally rehearse, and carefully lay everything out..
good times for you ..
congrats
if I can get to a 7 min a mile pace on a 3 mile run, I will be in nirvana...
nice

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Who cares about a few seconds in transition when you smoked the rest of the course!!!! WOW!!

Mnowac said...

Awesome job! It seems like you are a really fast swimmer (or I am just really slow!)