Friday, March 28, 2008

Almost a year ago...

After last weekend's nasty weather I got pretty sick... stomach bug... yuck! Was out of commission for a couple of days.

Tue I ran 5 miles; Wed was weight training: legs and biceps; yesterday I did the 1 hour spinning class at the gym, then stayed spinning for an extra 25 minutes. Today I swam at the gym (1,500 meters).
Tomorrow I am hoping I'll be able to ride but I don't know if the weather will allow. According to weather.com we'll have temperatures in the low 30s and maybe some rain.
Sunday I have a local 5K race... it'll be cold... great!

My bike.... can't believe I still don't have it! I bought it on March 2!! They told me they need to order it and that it usually takes 1 - 2 weeks. It's been almost a month. Was at the shop on Wed night and they said it's going to be shipped it from Canada in 1 or 2 weeks... hmmm... I've heard that before... we'll see. Hopefully it'll be here soon, can't wait!!

I did get my wetsuit... LOVE IT! It feels just right....perfect! Now I need to find a lake where I can do a few swim practices. I also need to practice taking it off; it'll be interesting doing that during T1.

Next weekend it's my GO! St. Louis Half Marathon... I can't believe it's already here. Last year this was my very first half marathon and big race. It was called Spirit of St. Louis; they changed the name this year. I can remember the whole preparation for it. I did it with Team in Training. Trained and ran it in memory of my mother-in-law Lloyd. I also remember my goal was to run it under 2 hours and I crossed the finish line at 1 hour and 57 minutes. It was such an amazing feeling finishing it, very emotional. I wore a pin with Lloyd’s picture on it; she was with me the whole time. Seeing my wife, my two beautiful girls and my father-in-law at the end cheering for me was just incredible... wow....

I will never forget that first race. Here’s a pic of that day:


This year my goal is to beat my last time (1:41 on Jan 26), so I'm hoping to finish it under 1:40. It'll be hard but I'll do my best. At this point this race is not my A race anyway.... The race I'm focused on and the one I'm training for is in 78 days. It's my first Half Ironman (IRONMAN 70.3 Kansas)... Can't believe I'm doing a half Ironman.... who would have thought?! Would I dare to say maybe I'll try a full Ironman in 2009???? Wait a minute! See? That’s my problem.. I get all excited and start thinking way ahead. Let's go through this race in Kansas first and go from there.

Hope everybody's training hard and smart.
Later,

PC

5 comments:

davegibb said...

I'm not saying that someone from Canada may have hijacked your bike but....I am from Canada you know. Hopefully you have a great run on Sunday. It's unbeleivable that the season is upon us. 1:41 is an awesome time as well for a half. Glad you're feeling better.

monica said...

your running form looks awesome in the pic!! hope you got a pr at the half mary.

congrats on the wetsuit. hope i wasn't sounding like a know-it-all about taking it in the pool. really, though, i don't know much at all, but wetsuits definitely don't want to meet up with chlorine!!!

be patient on your bike. you'll be so thrilled when it arrives.

and no, you're not thinking ahead at all. you gotta sign up for an ironman the day after the event for the next year, and some sell out in A FEW HOURS. those races start in less than a month, so you kinda have to know which one you wanna go for and then sit at the computer and sign up the day after this year's event. CRAZY!!!

Sara said...

I am running my first half marathon this weekend and a sub-2hr time is my goal too! I hope I am just as successful as you were in your first half.

I would be going nuts if I didn't have my new bike yet...you have more patience than I would have with your LBS, but then again I'm a New Yorker ;)

davegibb said...

Do you have your bike yet and thats why you don't have time to post your race report???????????????/

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Believe me, once you finish your HALF IM, nothing will stand in your way to a full IM!